Gourdon is a tiny village perched on top of a 500 meter (1640 ft) cliff -- a near vertical drop to the Loup river below. There is a Château that evolved from a Saracen fortress dating back to the 9th Century; in its present form, it was built in the 13th Century and fully restored in the 17th Century. The village houses are quite old, but for the most part in beautiful condition and nicely maintained. Most people come to Gourdon for the view one has from the village: a panorama that encompasses some 50 kilometers (31 miles) of Mediterranean coastline. There are many shops in Gourdon; most sell soaps and perfumes made locally or wares produced by resident artists.
The photos on this page were taken on August 4, 2001
This tile map of Gourdon shows how small the village is
View of Gourdon from the Châteauneuf-de-Grasse access road
Rue du Verger
The "Mairie" (Town Hall)
Place Victoria, named after Queen Victoria who visited Gourdon in 1891
The view from the Place Victoria is superb!
Antique reminders that perfume is one of the area's main industries
Well decorated village house
Rue de l'école
There are many stores catering to the tourists
Nooks and crannies
Le Nid d'Aigle (The Eagle's Nest): the food matches the view!
The other end of the "Grande Rue"
This page was last modified on November 2, 2002
Send feedback about this page to firstname.lastname@example.org
All contents © 1999-2018 The Kiechles